Thursday, October 30, 2014

Getting Our Halloween On, Part 2

The shadows lengthen.
I love the shadows at play here and in the next photo.

You can’t tell from the photo, but the big, stuffed pumpkin pillow at left is threadbare and raggedy with the years. We’ve had it for as long as we’ve been married, though, and I can’t bring myself to get rid of it.

The kitchen windowsill is a jolly haunt.

Readers of my graphically violent novels surprised at the cute factor here should know I’ve got enough gore and negativity in my skull to kill half a dozen normal men, so I find the cute stuff a necessary balm. Besides, Halloween belongs first and foremost to the children. They’ve got middle school and all the rest of their lives to wallow in the ugliness.

Yes, my wife painted a portrait of our cat Otis in the style of Van Gogh and had it mounted and framed. Also, a pumpkin wearing a witch’s hat.

Atop the armoire in the breakfast nook, where my wife keeps her stoneware.




















My daughter made this for her ceramics class in high school. Her teacher would semi-jokingly ask, “Well, Ms. Aiken, what disturbing images are you looking to bring to life this week?”

BOO.



It’s almost here!



No comments:

Post a Comment