Saturday, January 11, 2020

A Most Industrious Midwinter Melancholia

Hey, it happens sometimes. It’s a tough month.


I got a nice smirk going for all that “first full moon of the decade, special energies will be released” pixie dust that showed up in my Facebook and Twitter timelines this week. Yeah, those energies were special, all right.

Seriously, it was something new. I somehow found the energy to not only clean my main bookcase, but glue the base and set it down to cure throughout the afternoon and into the night. If all goes to plan, I’ll reassemble everything in the morning and that’s one more thing I put off too long fixing that finally got fixed.

Yet for all that and a sunny sky besides the day was melancholy. It wasn’t just me; my wife was feeling it, too. She never stopped being busy doing her usual Saturday chores, but there was little satisfaction in it.
















A lot of it is winter fatigue. We’ve had snow on the ground since Thanksgiving weekend and it has rarely gotten above freezing for weeks. It’s January, not even the middle of it. Grin and bear it, it’s all you can do. We’re getting stuff done. That’s no small thing.

Sometimes you feel like a lone dented trash barrel amidst the glory of God’s creation.

You pass beyond the barrier...

....only to realize you still have February after this. Ah, well. It’s not like I don’t have a book to finish writing.







No comments:

Post a Comment