Thursday, January 10, 2019

Ten into Nineteen

It’s time for a humblebrag status report. Don’t worry, this will quick.


The days have slowed their furious pace. Night still comes too soon, the sun dipping behind the tall peaks of the San Juans before 5 p.m., but the amount of daylight increases by a full minute and some. 

Our crisis with the below-zero hard freeze, our malfunctioning furnace, our freezing pipes made the tail-end of the Twelve Days of Christmas drag like a small eternity. This is funny, given how hard it is for me to let the season go. But between this misadventure and the strange fact that the town I live in still has its trees, lighting and decor still up and lighted, I can say I’m fully up to putting away Christmas and getting 2019 started in earnest.

No, seriously. We’re ten days into the New Year already. It’s not even a New Year anymore by the second day. Let’s do this.
Granted, Christmas will linger here until the last fake fir needle is vacuumed from the floor. I’ve been finding a few every day so far, thanks to our youngest cat Toonie, who insisted on rubbing her jowls against the boughs of our artificial tree and leaving their remnants throughout every room on both floors.

























Except for a couple of very important categories, so far we’re off to a great start at Rockin’ Roy’s Rage ‘n’ Romance HQ. First and foremost is the strange miracle of me getting a post up on this blog daily since New Year’s Eve. The streak is bound to break soon, but I’m hoping I won’t be so blasé about it that I let it go for months at a time, leaving readers stranded. In the meantime, it’s a great feeling of accomplishment, right up there with keeping alcohol and tobacco free. 

My separation and divorce from tobacco and alcohol would seem more impressive to me if it wasn’t such a long time coming. I’ve felt hints of temptation from time to time but so far I’m liking how I feel when I wake up in the morning too much to quit. 

Meanwhile, I was disappointed in the progress with The Wrong Kind of Dead until today, before I set off to run errands, come back and do chores, when I started filling in entire scenes in my future chapters. Important reveals and decisions are more than merely outlined, they’re completely written out.

I can’t say when, only that I’m doing this a lot faster than I was. I’m seeing the ending so much more clearly now. 

Somewhere between earth and sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment