Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Chillin’ Like Villains

Random observational trail mix on a cold trek through the Long Monday of the year.


Today’s edition of Operation Deep Freeze saw us topping yesterday’s high of 18°F at 21°F by 10 a.m., and as a bonus, we got full water pressure back in our kitchen sink for the first time since just after New Year’s Day when the temperature went down to minus 12 and froze the entire length of the pipe under the house. No leaks so far, knock on wood. We needed this win.

Any day with blue skies is a good one. Sadly, our more typical days are congested with solid sheets of the high clouds seen here. keeping things nice and bitter. Oh, but those clouds clear off in time for nightfall, to allow what heat there is to escape into space. I keep telling myself this annoying winter pattern is what will keep this place from overpopulating. I hope I’m right.




















A few days ago I learned that Sunday, 13 January is celebrated as Twentieth Day in parts of Scandinavia. As in “On the 20th day of Christmas, we ate all the candy on the tree — then finally threw that fire hazard out!”

Again, I have trouble letting go of Christmas, and I concur entirely with George Orwell’s observation that the celebration is primarily a relief from what is generally the worst weather of the year, but TWENTY days of Christmas? Three days of this period in Norway were once mandated by law for special Jul (Yule) ale drinking, by the way. At least three farmers must be in attendance for this. If not possible, the lone farmer must set out mugs as if entertaining the others, and drink accordingly.

Did I mention this was once the law?

Me, I’m looking at 16 days post-alcohol. I miss it sometimes, but I can’t afford sacrificing those days after to recovery anymore.
















As for the writing and everything else, what can I tell you but it’s one day at a time. One gray, cold, yet passing-way-too-quickly day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment