Thursday, January 17, 2019

“Always Winter, Never Christmas”

The expression from C.S. Lewis’ The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe come to mind during this most Monday of months. It’s pretty enough in pictures, but I’m not alone in wishing all this dirty, slippery, weeks-old snow would melt away already. For my part, I don’t think I’ve seen snowpack on roads stick around this long since I lived in Anchorage.

This is what 1°F/-17C looks like. At least the freezing fog has already cleared out, allowing for a better warm-up than yesterday.

This is my son’s third winter with us. He says this will be remembered as the one with lots of freezing fog. It’s no joke for guys like him who spend a lot of their day on the road.

It’s like the aspen is photo-bombing the poplars. The trees were pretty this morning. Of course, everything looks prettier against a blue sky. Today was the first day in a while for that.

Yes, I’m fascinated by these icicles. You could kill a man with some of these things.


Someone from the city was kind enough to drop random piles of dirt along the southbound lane of my street, so we’ve got that.

On the way back to Monte from Alamosa, grooving to Led Zeppelin IV. I actually heard “Stairway to Heaven” for the first time in a long time driving with this view and I absolutely loved it. The entire album was nice to hear again. I was so afraid I’d fallen out of love with my old music. It turns out all I’d needed was a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment