Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Missed Anniversaries

The usual thing to say is “last month went by so fast,” but that doesn’t ring true. It just...went. In a weird, blowing fog of days and nights. And here we are, ready to slam the coffin lid on the second day of April 2014.

A lot of milestones passed unremarked last month. They would have made great blog posts, but March was dedicated to finishing Grace Among the Dead. Which I came within one page of doing before shutting down.

I’ve just finished rewriting the first act. I’m moving on to the second act tomorrow. I have a lot of inconsistencies to address, loose ends to burn off, and that’s all I can say about it, save that the first act has that professional shine I’ve been fighting for all along.

So. Let’s note these milestones:

9 March marked the 20th anniversary of the death of Charles Bukowski. I’m surprised I didn’t see more about this on the Internet. It’s just as well. The Great Bukowski belongs to his readers—and those readers who truly appreciate him live in an America that doesn’t spend all day futzing around on the Internet, if at all. It’s called “work,” people. The people who thunder most loudly about the “value” of it have no idea what it’s about.

I will not lament the death of The Last Poet Who Ever Mattered—Bukowski was 74 years old, and had lived longer than he or anyone might expect for the hard life he had lived. His death was the happy ending some would say he had no right to. He died indoors, not in an alley. He had good hospital care, which, by this point, he could actually afford. 

Moreover, Bukowski died in the company of the two women who loved him most, his wife Linda, and his daughter. He did not die alone.

Who loves you, baby?

11 March marked two important anniversaries for me. Well, maybe not that important, as I had to look up the date. It turns out the third birthday of this blog fell on the first anniversary of Gary Lucas sending me the e-mail inviting me to bring Bleeding Kansas to Severed Press. I would turn in the signed contract on the 13th.

That’s all I have for now. The second act of Grace Among the Dead beckons. I will finish this, or I will die. That is all there is to it.

Enjoy what’s left of the evening.
I’ve sworn not to drink another drop of beer until I finish Grace Among the Dead. Which is another reason I’m losing my mind right now, but the whip must be cracked.




No comments:

Post a Comment