Monday, December 30, 2013

The Eve of Another New Year's Rockin' Eve

It took me long enough, but I finally figured it out. I won’t run any more Christmas stuff until next Christmas season. I’ve got the posts started and I’m working on them in between other writerly errands, but I’ve got them scheduled for dates throughout November and December 2014. As good as it feels writing about Christmas now, I realize no one else is in the mood for reading about Dickens’ ghosts and the weird disconnect between the media’s vision of Christmas and how Christmas is actually lived.

We’re all game for the New Year, though, right? I hope so. It pains me to think there are people out there whose spirits are so crushed they can’t even imagine something better for themselves. 

Cue a song from when Ambrosia was a wannabe prog rock outfit, getting inspiration from the fictional Book of Bokonon in Kurt Vonnegut’s apocalyptic farce Cat’s Cradle. Yes, this happened, long ago in the 1970s. This is why I can’t get excited for anything going on musically these days. No life, no gamble, as the poet said. “Nice, Very Nice” by Ambrosia satisfies most existential and aesthetic needs for the impending change of calendar. I’ll have other tunes, of course:





No comments:

Post a Comment