Monday, April 20, 2020

Through with This Flu 2: The Wrath of Normie

A few quick, fun notes. We’ll know how wrong I am in ten days!


I’m calling it. By the first of May most of the shelter-in-place, lockdowns, closures, etc., will be lifted. Some locales may try to hang on to their restrictions a little longer but I saw the writing on the wall where I am today.

After so many days of looking like the old, empty, impoverished rural town it was when my wife and I moved here in 2016, the traffic on the main drag Monday looked closer to 2017. Which is to say it wasn’t quite as busy as 2019, but 2016 to 2017 is a respectable jump for Monte Vista, Colorado.

Twitter was full of hatred and jeering for the lockdown protesters at various state capitols on Sunday. This contumely was so unilateral that I questioned whether the protesting side was allowed to express themselves at all. As it is, that’s not what I’m basing my prediction upon. People are out and about now. After one more weekend buttoned up and being told they’re stupid for questioning or resisting the manipulation, people apparently thought Monday afternoon was a fine day for a drive. I didn’t see anyone wearing masks in their vehicles, either, as I did on Saturday.

These aren’t people who make time to go to protests. These are regular people of the San Luis Valley, doing their back and forth through this crossroads town. What they’re doing out is their own business.

And when the bodies fail to stack up after the protests, when the hospitals fail to be overwhelmed after folks ride out into town to whatever’s open...well, a lot of people are going to be disappointed, apparently. Just wait until next time when it’s a real crisis. You’ll get your satisfaction, then.

Meanwhile, Drinko de Mayo is going to be extra-special double-secret lit this year. Just a feeling. We’ll all know in a couple of weeks.


I had a feeling I wasn’t pronouncing this right, and whaddya know....



No comments:

Post a Comment