Thursday, April 16, 2020

Grandpa’s Saturday Morning Sundown Syndrome

Because I’ve been stop-and-go on two separate posts and I had this fragment sitting around in my journal and I needed to get something up there to let ‘em know I’m still alive and thinking useless thoughts.



I get up on Saturday mornings
the sun blazing through the bathroom window
bathing toilet and sink in glory

and I wonder what cartoon would be on right now
in 1968

The best stuff came on earliest
the old, weird stuff, the dark and violent 
sci-fi shows with puppets from England
getting shot or set on fire
these mysteries shouted to life 
right after the farm report
wrapped at seven

the excitement peaked with the newest 
and most popular stuff
in the nine and ten o’clock hours
then slid slowly downhill around lunch

at one o’clock the trippy Lone Ranger cartoon
came on and at one-thirty it was over
and there was nothing to do 
but go outside

of which I remember next to nothing
sunlight, pinecones, pinestraw
other children

come to think of it Saturday
was like any other day inasmuch as

it was something I endured until dinner

Sometimes I wonder what kids today
do that makes this day off from school special

but don't get me wrong

for all my warm fuzzies 
this old man’s mind can still grasp 
the fact they’re missing
nothing.

Nah, I’m not even including this in my book. No one knows what I’m talking about here anyway and it’s just as well. Still, Copyright © Lawrence Roy Aiken, in case it matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment