Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Thin Strands, Heavier Hearts


How much of this hair is yours?
I wonder as I pull a longer strand away
from my sweater, a filament of orange 
and white that could
only be yours.

How much is left?
I wonder as I roll the thing with
the sticky paper on it over my clothes
as I push the vacuum cleaner 
one more time
over the carpet

We marveled at how much you shed 
over 18 years, over how many kittens
worth of fluff we might comb 
from your coat in one sitting

no matter how many times
clothes and bedclothes go through
the laundry, no matter how much
is swept up, mopped up,
put away

a piece of you will always
remain along a crack in the floorboards
woven snugly into the fabric of a shirt
someone wore while holding you close
while you purred 
into our chests
touched your nose
to ours

so I like to think
even as we chase every last
strand of yours and the surviving
cats down with our sticky rolls
and vacuum cleaners
because we pride ourselves
on our place
not smelling 
like pets

Someday it won’t even 
smell like us but all the dead 
cells we’ve shed everyday as dust
will have already settled
to mingle with yours
in the seams of the floorboards
under the molding 
along the walls

breathing in and out
of the ductwork

and no matter how hard 
the people after us 
try to clean….


Otis T. Cat, 2001-2020
Forever in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment