Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Romantic Banter in the Zombie Apocalypse

This passage is the opening to Chapter 5, “Enemies Foreign and Domestic,” from my work-in-progress, The Wrong Kind of Dead:


I look down at my on-again, off-again wife, who smiles wanly back at me. “We’re pleasant people now?” she says.
“Only for as long as we have to be.”
“You did okay right up until the end, when you all but ordered a full-bird colonel to send Brother Christopher up.”
“Says the woman who told that same colonel ‘fuck you,’ and called him a brass ape, while being physically restrained from beating the shit out of him by two full-grown men.”
“Oh, Derek,” sighs Agnes. “We’ve grown so much.”
“Like a fucking cancer.”
Be my valentine?
This is only page 30. (I like to keep my chapters short.) I bring this up because I’ve been dragging these past few weeks, sweating all this detail I’m pouring into this third and final book in THE SAGA OF THE DEAD SILENCER. It’s getting a little more existential than I’d like, wondering if all this fuss is worth it. Then I’m going over my story bible and I see this opening graf.

This will be the richest, deepest, and all-around best zombie novel anyone has ever read. All I have to do is finish the thing.

Meanwhile, you're looking for something to read. Brothers and sisters of the zompocalypse, I have a couple of solutions to this most vexing issue.

While all of my books are written to stand alone, the first two books of my DEAD SILENCER series provide the gory details on how we'll come to encounter The Wrong Kind of Dead. For starters, I’ve got a plane crash, a pitched battle at the local Wal-Mart, an exploding fire truck, a female hardbody assassin, and lots of hungry walking dead people in Bleeding Kansas...
Book 1 has ONE exploding head
on its cover.


...followed by a tale of love and redemption, the living dead and a flame-throwing monster truck in Grace Among the Dead.
Book 2 has TWO exploding heads.
See the pattern here?


They’re also available in Canada and the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment