Saturday, November 09, 2019

Minor Milestones

One of those “State of the Apocalypse” thingies. Happy November, by the way.


I published my 600th blogpost a while back but it didn’t seem worth bringing up until I put some in some more posts after it. Every now and then I’ll check in on one of my Jukebox music posts to see that YouTube has disabled my embed, and I’ll delete the post with its accompanying text. Six hundred posts could become five hundred ninety-something quickly.

I often wonder if I’ll have a Jukebox category at all after a while, and whether I shouldn’t scrub it altogether and save myself the trouble of policing the posts for broken links. That, and the matter of taking down my novel and story excerpts, because you don’t want to leave those up forever. I’m priming to edit and re-post what is there once I finish another milestone in the novel, so I can see everything that’s wrong with it, as I often do when I make anything public.


















I have the same issue with my novel’s progress. The above screenshot indicates 314 total pages and 107,000-something words. As I have all the chapter headings in my novel blocked off until the end, with notes on what happens—think of my manuscript galley file as a big, unwieldy outline with sketched-in dialogue and action—I’m not quite at 300 pages. I do have more than 100,000 words of narrative, though. I can say I’ve finally taken it that far. The Wrong Kind of Dead is going to be a massive book.

As such, every word had better count. Sometimes a really good day is when you take out entire paragraphs of excess exposition and dialogue. Omit needless words, first, last, and always. I’ve begun keeping a record of how many words I wake up to each morning, but it can be dispiriting seeing those numbers in retreat, even if I know why.

















And that’s that. Nothing else, except the year is getting away from me, and I’d hoped to have the manuscript completed by the 15th of September. All I can do is keep on keeping on. What I’ve got so far is too good not to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment