Monday, April 18, 2016

Our Cats in Repose (as Usual)

Like books, cats can furnish a room like no one’s business.


It’s not until around 11 p.m. that they do the wild-mustangs-galloping-across-the-house routine. Most of the time, this bunch is as chill as the other side of the pillow. The Great Bukowski considered it a marker of cat’s superiority to humans that they can sleep 20 hours of each day. I’m inclined to agree.

Puff seems to be in all of the photos here, but it’s notable that her heart belongs first and foremost to Otis. Speaking of Otis, I’d meant to do a feature on the Elderkitty last week, but it turns out fourteen years worth of photographs scattered throughout my digital collection and beyond is harder to get together than I thought. Who knew?

I call the following series, “A Study in Scarlet and Snowblind Light.” Never mind the hazy glow from the sunlight-on-snow outside the window, let’s pretend I’m Robert Mapplethorpe here, and that this is artistic lighting, and not sloppy camerawork. Never mind that the room needs picking up, too. Probably shoulda cropped out the clutter, but, nah. Verité, and all that.


It’s always a good day when I can get a decent exposure of Handsome Jack the Halloween Cat. Nothing like a white bedspread to help him “pop” in the picture.




Of course, the best days are when I come into my basement office in the morning, and all four of them are waiting for me on the futon, with last night’s galleys on the pillow between them. Let’s get to work!


No comments:

Post a Comment