Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Is It Peak Zombie Yet?

Not yet, but it’s getting there.


Years ago, when James Robert Smith put forth the idea of collaborating on a zombie novel, his concern was that we move and write quickly, because the zombie craze couldn’t last for long.

As it turned out, he ended up writing The Living End and I’m chronicling The Saga of the Dead Silencer. The point is, this concern for the health of the zombie subgenre was expressed two full Halloweens before the Halloween 2010 premiere of AMC’s adaptation of The Walking Dead comic book series. The TV series is nearly halfway way through its fifth season as I write this, and it’s got a vast fanbase I don’t think anyone could have imagined back in 2008.

Zombies are bigger than ever. There’s Z-Nation on the SyFy channel now. You can find any number of well-done short films on YouTube or following the appropriate hashtags on Twitter. Most groups don’t even wait until Halloween season to do a zombie crawl downtown; you could look one up if you’re so inclined. Any time is the right time.

In 2014, one book away from finishing my trilogy, I’m sweating. We might be at the tipping point where people are starting to get sick of it.

Yes, this is a thing.


I can’t judge too harshly. I laughed when I saw this. But maybe, just maybe, the tread is wearing thin.

And maybe it's late at night and I'm getting paranoid over nothing. How about Season 5 of The Walking Dead, huh?

I've got a little nut-up or shut-up of my own here, namely that aforementioned Saga of the Dead Silencer

Check out Book 1, Bleeding Kansas, in Kindle and paperback. When you’re done with that, go straight to Grace Among the Dead, also in Kindle and paperback. These are brutal tales, brutally written, and both picked up by Luzifer-Verlag for German translation. Check out what the Germans like so much better than your fellow Americans!

Book 1 has ONE exploding head
on its cover.
Book 2 has TWO exploding heads.
See the pattern here?



















They’re also available in Canada and the UK.


###

No comments:

Post a Comment