Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sunshine Daydream on a Frigid Gray April Afternoon

As part of my recent campaign to brighten my mood as an anodyne to the hours I spend writing frenetically violent fiction I’ve taken to listening to some more happy music. As in music not suited for a zombie apocalypse.

On a day like today in Colorado Springs, 31 degrees F. at 1 p.m., with the occasional flake of something drifting into the window well of my basement office, I need my Number One All-Time Favorite Grateful Dead Song, that invincible springtime sound of “Sugar Magnolia” from American Beauty. If you’re feeling down and Jerry Garcia’s otherworldly world-class pedal steel playing doesn’t sunbeam saturation-bomb the gloom in your heart, I don’t know what to tell you.
Sweet blossom, come on
Under the willow

We can have high times

If you’ll abide.

We can rediscover

The wonders of nature

Rolling in the rushes

Down by the riverside.
The world could benefit from more songs celebrating outdoor recreation.



No comments:

Post a Comment