Tuesday, March 22, 2011

had my organization not paid for me to be here I wouldn't have even considered


a life lived
city to
city in
highrise 
hotel rooms &
working
from

“an insanely comfortable
Heavenly Bed™”
king-sized
4 big fluffy
pillows a poofy
white comforter &
I don’t
even have to
make it
up

the soap
smelling so
nice & the
air conditioning
turned way
down &
me fresh-

showered &
swaddled
in a white
velour
bathrobe my
feet cozy
beneath the
comforter

half-
watching the
enormous flat-
screen with
stereo sound that
sounds like it’s
coming from
somewhere
else entirely
while

the coffee’s
brewing (they’re
charging me two
bucks for this
but it’s a
deal compared to
everything else
in the Refreshment
Bar below the
TV)

I’d like just
enough money
to live like
this with
friendly goons
in clean beige
suits using
walkie-talkies
& subtle crimson muscle
to keep the riff-raff
away

the lovely bird-
like blondes
fresh-squeezed into
black tube
dresses serving
me breakfast
among the
happy babble of
fountains
downstairs

Just give me
enough
to live like
this Let me
live like
this Oh
please

no one
complaining
or asking
me anything
wanting
nothing
but my
Signature
(right here,
Sir) &
I’ll

write novels &
poetry & essays &
whatnot to
break your
mother-
lovin’
heart.



___________________________________________________________________
From the forthcoming collection Nymphomagic Electroshock and Other Middle-Aged Complaints.
Copyright © 2003, 2017 by Lawrence Roy Aiken.

No comments:

Post a Comment