Sunday, June 21, 2020

Painting the Darkness


In this season of transitions
as unhappy as they are necessary
with the cat of our children’s childhood 
put down for old age and then
our last child leaving home to seek 
his fortune

In this nightmare year of convulsive changes
my wife and I settle into our irrelevance
another too-short summer dissolving before our eyes
only so many more Christmases to go

My wife set to remodeling when we gave up our cat
and when our son left, she overhauled his entire
room, painting the worn hardwood floor
moving the bed from its corner
to beneath the window
adding a futon sofa

The sadness of my son’s absence
still drifts in the sunbeams 
about the ghosts of his melancholy
(he was quite properly bored and anxious 
here) but they’re dignified 
by the attention

and, honestly, it’s better than what it would
have become had we left it alone:
a museum of dust and inattention
borne of equal parts sadness and
fear

These changes being what they are
this wasn’t enough. Soon our broken
and dusty stairs were redeemed
as my wife’s mahogany brown floor paint
slid smoothly across the filled cracks 

A cool green to match the stair risers
overtook the stained yellowy plaster of the walls
the white trim glowing like redemption
a halo to surround and crown the darker colors

Our stories haven’t changed
laughter and tears alike
lie fixed beneath this now-new paint
and I wonder how many more 
families’ stories will play out
in this century-old pile
when my wife and I are gone

Someone will one day
paint over us
my silent prayer is they at least 
coordinate the colors 
and keep that trim 
gleaming.




Poem and photo Copyright © 2020 by Lawrence Roy Aiken.

No comments:

Post a Comment