Monday, December 02, 2019

Requiem for a Short and Staggered Season

The first of three photo albums featuring the best of autumn in Monte Vista, Colorado, this year.


Autumn sneaks up on us here in the San Luis Valley. At first, mid-August, you’ll see what trees and shrubs there are out here turn bright red. Soon a few random shocks of bright yellow appear on a limb of aspen or poplar.

All of a sudden the things that turn red, turn red.
















I have no idea what this is, other than red, and next to the Colorado blue spruce.

















These photos make a convincing claim for the season not being a total wash, but, sadly, this is the second year in a row an October windstorm stripped the trees before the colors peaked. I had originally titled this post “Requiem for a Neglected Season” because I’d felt I’d missed it, as preoccupied as I’d been with writing my novel and various household matters. 

Looking at these photos, I realize I did witness beauty. I just wasn’t paying attention beyond framing the shots. Ain’t nobody’s fault but mine if I feel I missed something, because I didn’t. The pictures tell the tale.

Love my September glories, a.k.a. alpine asters. Like hollyhocks, they’re pretty and pretty tough.



It’s only occurred to me over the last couple of years that I could get down to the ground for an alternate perspective. I’m slow, but I expect to be master class...should I live to 101.




















Everything had my attention enough to take photographs. There is no light like October light, and I wasn’t letting this much get away from me.

Such light can lend drama and dignity to a vacant lot. Not that I’m testing that theory. I just like the way it looks through the tangle of vegetation around the wrecked cyclone fence here.


Another cyclone fence, more amber butterscotch light, more leaves.
















The light is at once sad, as you can tell it’s faded from its summer blaze. Yet we’re all happy and energized because it’s not so doggone hot anymore. Also, pretty.


These were as good as it got for the poplars. We had mere days to enjoy them.



















Even the walk home from the liquor store is a thing of beauty where I live.


















It turns out I have enough photos for a couple of more posts, including a Halloween special. I might as well clear my desk. Winter isn’t coming to the San Luis Valley. It was here as of Halloween. Let’s hope we get plenty of snow.

The gray overtakes the golds and reds soon enough.

All photographs Copyright © 2019 Lawrence Roy Aiken. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment