Friday, May 17, 2019

The Software-as-a-Subscription (SAAS) Model Was Only the Injury

Here comes the insult.


I’ll never forget that first day playing with Word in Office 2010 on its debut ten years ago, just in time for Windows 7 to improve on the buggy traninwreck that was Vista. (I once heard Win 7 referred to as “Fixta.” Amusing, because apt.). It was love at first scroll with that ribbon bar. 2010 certainly looked like the future from there, and a fine one, at that. 

Years later, with 2010 well in the past, they offer me a subscription service by way of an upgrade. Ha-ha, funny. No, thanks, I’m good. 

One full decade later in 2019, they’ve not only bottomed out, they’re drilling the abyss. The grammar function on Word has always been about as useful as tits on a boar hog. Now....

I got this image from someone’s Facebook page. I looked up the article, and, ironically, this is the one article of many on the subject that does not gush over the “gender inclusive” silliness beyond the logline. Of course, it might have something to do with the audience of this particular online paper. See for yourself. Asinine Western pop-cultural fashions aside, the latest Word is an intrusive piece of software. This may be all well and good for brainless business drones who must be kept in corporate cultural lockstep. For writers who value their artistic integrity, it’s cancer.























I’ll handle my own editorial, thank you. Office 2010 ‘til I die, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment