Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Terms of Ensmearment

All insults are better in French, the language with the built-in lisp!


This must have been the seventh or eighth time I’ve had to look up soi-disant while reading on the Internet. No wonder I keep forgetting to use it like a proper midwit who knows his popular French phrases. It means “self-styled, so-called,” and of all the phrases in which a writer should use (so sayeth I, the Great Infallible God of All Writers, but you know what I mean) the plain English meaning instead, this is one. You’re trying to bust on someone for being fake while looking like you’re trying hard to fake looking intellectual. A soi-disant intellectual. 

Come to think of it, all intellectuals are self-styled and so-called. 

We’ll stop here.


Gotta love the example they used. “Hey, I resemble that remark!”



No comments:

Post a Comment