Sunday, December 16, 2018

Mid-December Sunday Greetings

...from a very neglectful blogger and author on the Redemption Trail.

“And Jesus rebuked Satan, saying unto him, ‘PUT SOME PANTS ON, YOU DEGENERATE!’”





























I love Sunday mornings now. I rolled out of bed at 3:30 a.m., made the coffee, filled the hopper on the wood pellet stove, and set to typing out the thoughts that held me awake and forced me up in the first place. This is a very, very recent thing I’ve begun here that’s worked wonders for my productivity, and, best of all, peace of mind.

Before 5 a.m. I had started another poem, turned some metaphorical wrenches on the story bible for my zombie series, and, after so long a time, had ideas for blogposts. Still two hours out from dawn, and I’m considering a shower and proper pants, at least some fresh, non-stinky pajamas.

So this is what “happiness” feels like. Huh. So alien and strange, it’s easy to see how so many people end up sabotaging it for themselves. I’ve been that sinner. It’s the kind of sin that doesn’t wait until you’re dead to send you to Hell. It makes its own Hell for you right there and then.

Like all earthly Hells, it can be escaped. It’s a matter of watching for the Sartrean door to open while everyone else is screaming at one another over what they consider to be important issues. To take that old French existentialist’s metaphor one more step out of metaphor and into life as it is lived among us non-hypotheticals, most people never see that “No Exit” door. They may have heard rumors of a way out, but they don’t believe they’ll ever find it. That’s only for the lucky and the clever, and good for them.

I’ve got the lucky part down. As always, “clever” is going to require some work. It’s a good thing I’m up.

No comments:

Post a Comment