Wednesday, October 03, 2018

A Bumper Crop of Crabapples (Not Cherries)

...but they were this big and red and...ah, never mind. I learned a couple of things, though.


This is the end of the third summer I’ve seen here in Monte Vista, and I don’t remember this many cherries...well, I just learned they’re not cherries. Although there are a surfeit of cherry trees about town, most of them “ornamental” as opposed to functional (this should have been my first clue, come to think of it), what I saw were crabapples. Given the traffic this site gets when I post photos from around town, I am mortified beyond mortification.

There’s nothing to do but update and correct and move on. Something I was especially grateful to learn was the connection between a frost we had that inhibited the fruit-bearing of fruit-bearing trees. Our previous winter was exceptionally warm, so here we are. Aside from learning crabapples from cherries, it’s good to be reminded how much quirks in the weather can affect things.

I can’t explain why I was so taken by the sight of these along my customary walk. My best guess is it’s the contrast between the gentle roundness of the crabapples popping bold red against irregular surfaces. Like this red clay trail...
















...among the green blades of grass...

































...atop coarse gravel...

















...lying vulnerable along a cool, unforgiving sidewalk.


















Fortunately, they don’t stick to your shoes, because they can be difficult to avoid, especially on the west side of town.



All photographs Copyright © 2018 by Lawrence Roy Aiken. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment