Monday, September 17, 2018

Spoiler Alerts for Stuff I Haven’t Written Yet, Part 2


I’m on track to have the weakest posting schedule since I started this blog in 2011.  Yet, somehow, by the magic of Google, I’ve not only enjoyed an unusually prolonged superspike of viewership, I’ve been doing very well on the averages for three days straight so far. 

I should come out and say something, make this place look a little less abandoned. I’ve got a blogpost on a runaway cat started and another on what it means to turn 25 in 2018, from the perspective of my old and fading self, but I’ve been lucky to squeeze out a one-line paragraph a day sometimes. As news goes, they’re weeks old. If I abandon them after a meandering thousand words or so, they won’t be the first. That’s the way this gig works sometimes.

Anyway, to those who have found and are actually reading these posts, welcome to my corner. As you can see from the bar above, I have a little something for everyone. I’ve endeavored to remove profanity from everything except my zombie fiction, as I’ve noted there is a growing market of people who like a break from it, given how even the major newspapers employ “writers” who write like precocious, albeit bitter and vulgar 11-year-old girls talk. Even the men. It’s a post for another time. A podcast? Maybe that, too.


Might as well. I can’t go outside. Kittycats will get me.


















It occurs to me I could read these posts for a quick and dirty ‘cast. I’m stacking up the scripts. I can’t say when, but I expect to throw myself at it before fall gives way to winter.


...which won’t be long, if this rapid transformation from green to blood red on the vines is any indication.


















My main priority, aside from surviving a radical prostatectomy with as much of my dignity as I could salvage, is finishing the final novel in my SAGA OF THE DEAD SILENCER series. For all I know this may be the last bit of fiction I’ll ever write, and it’s got to be the best, or bust. 

I’ve been hung up on making the world-building plausible. Most critically, I have to make these blocks of narrative look as natural as possible, not like a lecture on, “This is how this works, from top government on down to the town council level (although I need to understand that for myself).”  If there’s a flaw in the exhaust port that will allow us to blow up the entire Death Star with a single kill shot, we need to get to that right away. 

Except there isn’t. I’ve got an evolving undead elite supported by embittered living survivors who run the day-to-day logistics of a moving zombie horde while making sure the important undead get their feast. I’ve got a black-ops colonel whose recent specialty is the ability to destroy every square inch of land for thousands of square miles, using warehouses full of conventional weapons on the edge of their expiration dates. He’s angry, he’s gone rogue, and he’s taken as many pilots and mechanics as he could with him. Like the undead hordes, when his squadrons darken the sky, everyone dies. 

For either one, that could be anytime now. And that doesn’t cover Derek Grace and company’s most immediate threat, a survivor’s government and population that regards Grace and his people as great unwashed who can serve no purpose in the new world that’s being built. A new world that can come to an end at any time. Escape is not as easy as it sounds, and our heroes will have to make one sooner than later.


The buzzards aren’t the only things waiting for you out there.


















I’m working at getting more out there, though. The recordings are already in progress. I might put out a bunch of small pieces, then put those all together with bonus material for a weekly hour show. I don’t know.

They’re all problems I’m happy to have.  If nothing else, I’m invested if only to see what happens next.


It’s just over that next horizon.





No comments:

Post a Comment