Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Observations on a Haunted Summer's Evening

In the late afternoon light
Slouching regally
Upon the hard gray faces of the trees
I see the end of everything.

The dry brown sorrow of the grass
Reddens in tune
Before glowing
Once more golden in love
with every sunset I have ever known.

Brassy as newfound faith
Or a missed lover’s smile
Before fading
one last time
from my life.

One last time
Like every other last time
I spoke to that face
Went along with that laugh
Knew the smell inside that car
I junked years ago.

I see them all
Loving me with their eyes
My ghosts a-bloom in bright youth
Slowing darkening among the trees
Fading with the last silent shriek
Of light on this late summer’s day.
















From the forthcoming collection Nymphomagic Electroshock and Other Middle-Aged Complaints.
Copyright © 1994, 2018 by Lawrence Roy Aiken.


No comments:

Post a Comment