Thursday, June 29, 2017

A Semi-Funny Photo, a Semi-Brief Note on What I'm Doing Now

I’ve been forcing myself back into walking in the evenings. These high-valley midsummer evenings have been so wonderfully pleasant, I’ve come to appreciate the late June light as much as I do October’s peculiar optics. 

I should get two posts of photo albums from the weekend alone. Below is an outtake satisfying the zombies I’ve advertised on the blog, if not the lighting I want to showcase in the photo essay. If I have to explain the joke it’s useless. Suffice it to say that if the place looks empty, it’s because the clients got up and walked. Maybe had a bite to eat before they hit the bricks....
The place looks so...dead.



In other news, I had a curious streak of creativity over the last week in which I was writing a poem every other night or so. They just came over me, their first drafts spreading across their pixelated pages in mere minutes. Minimal editorial tweaks were required. If the poems I wrote about the ants by my driveway and looking at an abandoned house went up a day later than they had to, it was because I wanted new photos of the subjects that inspired them. So I got the photos, and the gestalt of text and visuals worked much better than I’d hoped.

The positive response to these verses across my social media accounts was very encouraging. I want to publish a collection when I get enough poems together. I figure 99 poems is enough to justify a book. I’ve got 13 solid sets of verses now that belong with the general theme I’m working with, so that leaves 86 more to go. 

This does not mean I’ve been ignoring my primary reason for existing right now, namely, concluding the final book in my SAGA OF THE DEAD SILENCER series. On the contrary, these poems are a side effect of a burst of productivity I’ve been suffering across the board. I’ve learned it’s best not to question these things. When you’re hot, you’re hot. That’s all. Here’s hoping you’re the same.
A few escaped to board themselves up in this abandoned Catholic church down the street. Of course, these siege situations never end well.

No comments:

Post a Comment