Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Summer Hump Day Satanic Butt-Munching Madness

In this scene from Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy Part II: Infernal Boogaloo, we see Dante with his spirit guide, the Roman poet Virgil, in the lowest level of Hell where we meet the Big Guy himself. Like Santa Claus closing the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, Satan brings up the rear to cap off Dante’s grand tour of the Very Bad Place.

After winding our way down through the circles, what do we find in the King of the Damned’s court? Satan chewing on either Brutus or Judas, thinking, “Damn, this sinner tastes like ass,” while Dante and Virgil are like, “Aw, nasty!” 
Lucifer by Antonio Zatta, 1757-8.

If I had to get a tattoo, I’d dedicate my back to this image. I’d tell people I saw it in a dream. I imagine it would be a real hit at the beach.


###