Monday, December 15, 2014

The Ides of December

The middle of the last month of the year finds me loopy with flu and medications and strange sleep patterns. It’s been a good week, though. Apparently everyone loved the last Bleeding Kansas excerpt. Which means I need to get another one up by mid-week. 

First, I have to get over this, whatever it is. I used to feel smug thinking, if there ever was a global epidemic like the Spanish Flu of 1918, I’d be safe here in my basement. Nope. I’d be dead along with everyone else. Gotta go out for groceries and beer sometime.

Here’s hoping everyone keeps well this season. We’ve got all of January and February to be sick. At least I'm getting mine out of the way early.
Death takes Spanish flu victims from a family. Note the house number, indicating the year of the worldwide epidemic, which killed as many if not more people in one year than World War I. I wish I could remember where I found this. This is just about as dark as I can stand. The haughty tilt of death's head, the dejection of the young girl as she shuffles listlessly away...yeah. This far, and no more.





###