Monday, June 16, 2014

Confessions of a Pop Culture Philistine

I have never seen a Game of Thrones episode. I don’t feel particularly compelled to check it out, either. 

No, no snobbery here. Honestly! Midgets, dragons, hot chicks with weird names, and guys hollerin’ “Hodor!” simply don’t do it for me. Does this make me a bad person?


Emilia Clark, who plays—fuck that, I don’t even want
to know how spell it. That’s right, I Googled “hottest
women on Game of Thrones” and downloaded
the first photo I saw. Thanks, GQ Magazine!
I’ve entertained some interest in watching Breaking Bad. It sounds like my kind of show. The hell of it is, I already know the entire damn storyline from start to finish. Why bother?

I’ve read in several places that The Wire is supposedly The Greatest Television Show Made, Ever. It’s about cops in Baltimore. Why I’m supposed to give a shit about Yet Another Goddamned Cop Show has yet to be explained. I’ve never seen The Wire, and I never will. You can chalk that one up to snobbery, and I won’t care. 

I’ve never seen The Princess Bride. Or Avatar. I had Avatar on the bookcase by my entertainment center for a week. after checking it out from the library. Just couldn’t bring myself to spend three hours watching blue cat people fly around a funky jungle.

Meanwhile, people look at me weird because I’ve actually read all the Harry Potter books and think very highly of the first Hunger Games book. I’ll go one further and say I think teen/young adult literature is the only sci-fi/fantasy out there worth reading, because it’s often less concerned with political correctness than it is with how the characters react to their environments. Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein, and Isaac Asimov wouldn’t be welcome in the writers’ guilds of the very genre they founded thanks to the thought-policing tyranny of politically correct assholes, but that’s another rant. What I miss about those old Grandmasters is their sense of wild imagination, and the only contemporary examples of that are in Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, and maybe some more young adult stuff I’m missing.

To each their own, right?

Yeah, I thought so.


###