Thursday, May 08, 2014

One Week into May, Assessing the Damage

The anarchist’s commencement speech in the last post took me by surprise, too. I’d scheduled that while drunk the last night of February, meaning to write up the introduction, clean up the text, etc., between then and the day before yesterday. I should have killed the thing altogether. It seemed like a funny joke at the time, having a genuine anarchist delivering a heartfelt commencement speech. Now, not so much. For one thing, it’s too damn long. 

In my defense, it still beats that tired-ass “Wear sunscreen” pabulum that was so popular at the turn of the millennium.

The hell of it is, it’s been over a week and I’ve been going nuts trying to come up with a post. I’d open a New Post window, look at it and think, “Oh, no! I really need to fix that chapter and blast through to Act 3! It’s May already! The blog can wait!” And whaddya know, Prince Kropotkin turns up. D’oh!

So I’ll never drunk-schedule another thing again. Especially this far into the future! February seems like a year ago already.


I almost did something idiotic for that idiotic “Star Wars Day” last Sunday, namely, the above graphic paired with a rant on why I liked Star Wars at first, and now merely tolerate it, because Return of the Jedi was dumb, Star Trek is better, etc. Oh, for God’s sake!

I could have gotten really pissy and bitchy and depressing talking about how 4 May is really Kent State Day. Four dead in Oh-hi-oh, man! “Star Wars Day” is grossly frivolous horseshit wallpapering over a day when U.S. troops turned and fired on unarmed U.S. citizens engaging their right to peaceably assemble.

Like anyone gives a shit. Judging by some of the comments I read on a recent article in which tape analysts supposedly isolated the order to fire on a recording made during the incident, most people are perfectly fine with what happened. Buncha dirty stoopit hippies and all that throwing rocks; they had it coming! They didn’t even give a shit anymore once the draft was ended in 1973! Etc. 

Just walk away, son. Walk away.... 

There was this hilariously morbid photo that came out during Spaghetti-Os unfortunate Pearl Harbor Day ad campaign that I was looking forward to use, though. Might as well whip it out. I don’t know if anyone will get it on the 45th anniversary of the massacre next year.










In New We Can Use, as of last night I smashed through the barrier that was Chapter 9, emerging with a new, entirely sympathetic secondary character. It’s been a hard couple of weeks, with days of me just staring at the copy, wondering where the hell to go with it. One section got rewritten about five or six times. It went from nearly a page to a short paragraph.

Protip for you aspiring writers out there: whenever you can take a long thing and make it shorter, whenever you can make a complicated thing simple, or forego the cute flashback to a previous book altogether, you do it.

Why did it take so long to do such a simple thing...well, look. It got done, all right? The bad times are behind us. Let’s get on to the Next Thing, namely Chapters 10, 11, and 12, and see how quickly we can bring on the alpha zombie attack that closes out Act 2. (I’m talking to the voices in my head here. We’re taking far too many meetings, by the way....)

With this behind me, I can take my shower and dig in. Meanwhile, I should knock out some more Drive-by Reviews. At least carve out some time to get away from my project, get some fresh air. I’ve even let my exercise slide. It never fails; you let one thing go, it all goes.


###