Sunday, December 29, 2013

Notes on the Final Sunday of 2013

I have no less than four ideas for posts concerning Christmas. I’d like to blow them out over the 12 Days ending on 5 January. Whether I’ll bring them back as far more timely re-posts over the holidays next season, or set them up as a blog all their own, remains to be seen. 

It is a subject close to my heart, and a book that’s been on my bucket list for at least 30 years. I’ll do what I can before the 5 January, and revisit it all come 25 June through 4 July.

Meanwhile, this is my last best chance to get started on cleaning my office, which has been a shambles since Halloween. (I’d meant to decorate it for Christmas, but, um, well, shit, I dunno.) I just got everything pulled out of the closet that leads to the storage area under the stairs, and the slaughter of dust bison and shredding of old paper has begun—and I might not finish this in time for the New Year, either. The process has begun, though. As with most things I’m starting these days, it will be finished. Just not as fast as I’d like.


Gotta work for those tits and Champagne, son.
As we come towards the end of 2013 now is a good time to start these kinds of projects. How’s your backup doing, by the way? For me, backup not only means the latest revisions on my novel, it means all the photos and downloads, too. It’s an involved process. I should do it more than once a week, but I’ll settle for every Sunday (or when I write something so damn good I don’t dare trust my 5-year-old laptop alone with it). You don’t want to end up like my daughter, who lost all the photos on her phone to an unfortunate accident because she didn’t back them up. Flash drives and external hard drives are cheap. Lost memories and inspiration are very dear.

For my part, I have a bunch of crap out on my floor that needs to be either thrown away, or put away. I’d like to send 2013 out on a more or less clutter-free note. Back to work, then....


###