Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Powering Through the Post-Holiday

It’s a wrap, people. Yesterday was the last holiday of the holiday season. Normally I’d be treating this as the Ninth Day of Christmas and staying up late drinking though January 5. This year I’m letting all of that go. 

It’s not just that I’m using this month for a tolerance break/detox (though that’s a big part of it). My attitude towards the season is evolving. It’s just as well my work on The Crisis That Was Christmas is on hiatus until I finish The Saga of the Dead Silencer. I don’t expect to have a completely different book written. A lot of the chapters I’ve already completed cover bullshit about the season that’s flat timeless. It will be a broader, more mature perspective, though.

I’ve come across some interesting views on the Web in the last couple of months that are coloring my thinking. I’d like to incorporate them into my Dead Silencer trilogy, while building Cringe City around everything I’ve learned the hard way about being a man in a culture that has infantilized its men, turned them into the cultural equivalent of blackface minstrel show characters (lazy, buffoonish, sex-obsessed, in need of a stable mother figure to keep them straight, etc.).

As much as I’d like to talk about these views I have to figure out an approach. I know some people who will be grossly offended by the ideas I’m reading now. As these are people I respect it’s not a simple matter of saying “Fuck ‘em!” and plowing on. Also, I don’t want to get into the habit of writing long posts that people will quit reading halfway through (as I find myself doing with more and more Web posts by others these days).

I don’t like having to slow down to figure things out. I need to be on the go, throwing down finished product, moving on. As always, though, a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do. The main thing is to keep doing. The first and last questions should always be, “What do I need to do right now?”

Right now, that’s wrap up this blog post and get back to work on The Saga of the Dead Silencer. I’ll figure everything out as I go along. If I slow down, I slow down.

The main thing is to keep powering through.


“It’s not the destination, it’s the journey!”
“Yeah, so, what are we doing out here in Bumfuck? Can’t this thing go any faster?” 

###